[mapserver-dev] 41latitude has an interesting article on google maps labeling

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 04:47:09 EST 2010

Steve,

Looking at that article, it seems we already have nearly all that is
needed with simple mapfile syntax and classified data to obtain
similar results. You do have to ensure that you use label priorities,
and/or ensure that that your datasource serves out labels by
increasing order of importance.

based on the different classes of labels, we have:
* adjustable size of text
* adjustable color of text
* adjustable outline width on text
* absence of clusters by applying a buffer

the only thing I see missing is the "collar" around major metropolitan
cities. We have nearly this with label the label buffer, but this will
also remove city labels from the metro area.

regards,
thomas