[mapserver-dev] RE: [mapserver-users] colorramp and datarange on the fly?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 3 11:54:25 EST 2010

To add a little more to this...

What I have done in the past for thematic maps is to do the analysis in
the database and to bin the data into a new column or columns for each
analysis. Then in my mapfile, I can select the column that I want to
display. This made it easy to get fast maps because mapserver only had
to render based on a simple value 1-n based on the number of bins I
computed.

I have also create a stored procedure in the past that I could pass in
the number of bins and the type of analysis, and it would then compute
the binned values on the fly. I found that there was a lot of
flexibility doing this in postgresql and have mapserver generate the maps.

This would also be a good way to prototype up the various analysis that
you might want to explore. The one big missing piece to doing this is
that there is not easy way to dynamically change the number of classes
(bins) that are being generated in mapserver and assign them colors,
which the colorramp and datarange would help with especially if there
were a way to get those values dynamically from the data source.

-Steve W