[mapserver-dev] OSGEO 2009 Annual Report - MapServer

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Wed Feb 3 19:30:45 EST 2010

Hi zach,

I understand perfectly your point, although I don't really agree with
the article. I personnally find that a method called "getFeatureType" is
better than "get_feature_type" and obviously "getfeaturetype". That's a
matter of opinion.

It's important to say that comparing function/variable names of an api
and a xml format is not really relevant.  We haven't written the xml
mapfile format to replace the normal mapfile one (at least not yet) but
rather to allow other librairies and softwares to produce valid mapfiles
easily (and perhaps get a complete mapfile editor a day? :) ). The
normal mapfile format is parsed with Bison/Flex and it's relatively hard
to play with them. It would be the chaos to parse and validate user data
inside other librairies. I know that I've already said it, but XML has
not been made to be written manually and xml mapfile format has not been
implemented to replace the normal mapfile format if it's to write
mapfile manually.

Hope my explanation makes sense.

regards,
Alan