[mapserver-dev] png optimization on output

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Feb 9 16:43:48 EST 2010

Thomas, Steve L, Assefa,

Do we have an option to optimize png images for size on output?
I'm using an output format like:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
     NAME "agg_qn"
     DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
     EXTENSION "png"
     MIMETYPE "image/png"
     IMAGEMODE RGB
     FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=false"
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_NEW=ON"
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=256"
   END

If Iuse pngcrush -reduce on the resulting file I get about 25%
reduction in size. it seems like it might be worthwhile to add code that
does the same sort of thing maybe triggered by something like:

     FORMATOPTION "REDUCE=true"

I realize that this is costs additional time, but when using mapserver
with something like Assefa's tilecache patch where you are actually
drawing metatiles and chopping them into a cache, the trade off between
time and size can be justified.

I can write up a bug if people think this would be a good option.

Thanks,
   -Steve W