[mapserver-dev] Dynamicaly writing Mapfiles for WMS-Servers

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Fri Feb 12 15:08:18 EST 2010

Hello mapserver users/devs,

we are developing an application which mainly displays charts and
graphic plotts about scientific data (hydrologic measurment-data). Also
vertical cross section through waterbodies can be produced.

However, a WMS-component is needed and we are thinking about Mapserver.
Therefor one mapfile will be used and our mechanism is able to add new
layers to the mapfile depending on the workflow in the app. Does
anybody have any experience with such a setup?

There are some questions open, perhaps you can give us some hints here:
* What happens when the mapfile gets written and a WMS-request tries to
  open/read the mapfile directly? It seems that there are no
  flock-calls inside the mapserver-code for locking the mapfile.
* Is there a better way to realize a robust way of modfying mapfiles on
  the fly (without using mapscript).

TIA for any pointers, I appreciate your input.

Best regards

	Stephan

--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de> | Tel.: +49 (0)541-33 508 3663
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 OS  |  AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998