[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 37: AUTO Projection Support

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Feb 22 11:22:02 EST 2010

> Howard,
>
> I have some general comments:
>
> - I have never used this existing 'auto' ability of OGR/raster, mostly
> because I usually see a blank SRS section from ogrinfo or gdalinfo.
>
> - for that reason I worry that users will assume that MapServer will
> magically read the projection info from any source file, when using the
> PROJECTION AUTO parameter.
>
> - I'm not sure if this is the same question as Frank's, but, what
> happens when no projection info can be read from the source file, when
> using PROJECTION AUTO?
>
> - I think this should be documented with examples (I know, I'm looking
> in the mirror here)...to make sure users don't expect wonders to happen
> from PROJECTION AUTO
>
> thanks.
>
> I'm a +1 on this RFC.

Sorry I forgot one more comment:

Can you improve the comments in the following RFC example?

{{{
   # Use the what the layer defines as the projection definition.
   # This may not be available for all data sources or layer types
   # (shapefile, SDE, OGR, etc.).
   PROJECTION
       AUTO
   END
}}}

I don't understand the comment there so it is hard to know what is
happening.

Thanks.

-jeff