[mapserver-dev] MapServer Documentation and translation

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jan 4 09:28:14 EST 2010

Lars Lingner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just want to let you know that I still keep an eye on the german
> translation and will submit updates. I subscribed a rss feed and working
> on translations of the docs when I find some spare minutes.

Glad to hear you're still around and watching.

FYI in the last week before the Xmas holidays, we started working with
Jeff and Alan on a modification of the docs setup so that the website
falls back automatically on the English version of a document if no
translation is available.

I believe Alan got that working in a test environment and we just need
to apply the changes to trunk. Basically that would mean that we would
remove any non-translated doc from the /de/ directory tree, and a 404
handler would automatically fallback on the /en/ version if a page is
not found under the /de/ tree.

This will solve the issue of duplicate out of sync English docs in the
/de/ tree. The next issue we need to work on is how to keep the
translated docs up to date everytime a change is made to the
English/master version. Maybe we could discuss that on IRC when everyone
is around.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/