[mapserver-dev] Re: Multiple WRAP Characters

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jan 13 09:56:17 EST 2010

Hello all,

I mailed the users list about a month ago hoping to generate some
discussion, but no one took the bait.

I was wondering how realistic it would be to be able to specify multiple
wrap characters for labels.  I found some discussion in RFC 40 and was
wondering if there has been any further discussion.  As Daniel mentioned
in the comments of the RFC, a space is easy to replace with a new line,
but hyphens should be retained.  I have been working with a France
dataset and my labels look off right now with wrapping happening on
labels with spaces, but not with hyphens.

Examples of what would ideally be handled:
"Les Quatre Vents" wrapped on spaces if MAXLENGTH is satisfied
"Fontenay-sur-Bois" wrapped on hyphens if MAXLENGTH is satisfied,
hyphens remain at ends of lines
"Domaine de Lacroix-Laval" wrapped on spaces and and hyphens if
MAXLENGTH is satisfied, hyphens remain at ends of lines

I already discussed this with Assefa before the original email I sent to
the users list, but wanted to hear from other developers before filing
an enhancement ticket.

Thanks,

Christy
--