[mapserver-dev] advanced WMS questions

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 18 09:17:04 EST 2010

bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> in The Netherlands we have a Dutch WMS profile, and I have 2 questions of
> how we can configure Mapserver to be compliant with this profile:
>
> 1) GetFeatureInfo (WMS 1.1.1) uses application/vnd.ogc.gml as the
> mime-type, however the Dutch profile demands text/xml. I don't know of a
> way to set an alias in Mapserver for this mime-type currently. Is there a
> way?
>

> I tried:
>
> "WMS_FEATURE_INFO_MIME_TYPE"    "text/xml"
>
> However then the query processing runs through Mapserver templating
> instead of just outputting msGMLOutput.

Maybe using WxS and mapscript could be a work around?
The WMS_FEATURE_INFO_MIME_TYPE is used to select which output format is
used to return the values and does not change the mime type associated
with the output. BTW WMS_FEATURE_INFO_MIME_TYPE  will be depricated
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3172).

How would you see this implemented? You mention alias in your e-mail;
were you thinking about having a metadata (somthing like
gml_info_mime_type)?

> 2) The top-level layer (MAP->NAME) does not have a MetadataURL. Is there a
> way to suppress the <Name> element for the top-level layer, and only have
> a <Title>? Or suppress it altogether?

I am not sure if we should supress it since the name can be used to
select all layers in the service. There was an effort
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3121) to add metedata that
applies to the root layer. If the MetadataURL on the root layer is part
of the spec, It could be supported using the same logic?

best regards,

> TIA.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart