[mapserver-dev] GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Sat Jul 10 05:15:19 EDT 2010

On 07/07/10 20:31, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> I have to admit that the alternative to "the stack" in the MapServer
> case is a bit messy, a set of independent tools each with their own
> paradigms, quirks and config files, and in different languages:
>
> - mapserv.exe (native binary)
> - MapScript (PHP, Python, or one of the others if you dare)
> - TinyOWS (for WFS-T, which works great BTW), also a native binary
> - TileCache (Python)
> - FeatureServer (Python)
>
> One of the things we've been talking about here (at Mapgears) is coming
> up with an integrated set of tools for all of the above with a
> consistent config file and possibly all native binaries... but that
> would require some work.

This is something I was planning to work on for myself in a Cloud
environment at our Computing Center
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing). Could someone write an
RFC with the specifications of such a toolset? A cloud environment is a
nice place to test configurations in differen Virtual Machines.

Jan