[mapserver-dev] rendering plugin status

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Mon Jul 26 13:27:03 EDT 2010

Hi Thomas: How do you want bugs reported? Here's a series of samples with 5.4 and the sandbox version (from this morning):

- AGG, 24-bit PNG

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv54?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=map&mapsize=1259%20484&mapext=381482.421875%205035765.625%20435580.078125%205056562.5&map.imagetype=aggpng24

Biggest visual differences are:

1) outlines, especially around text are not as strong in the new version
2) some outlines are missing altogether, look at the highway shield numbered "10" just above the "S" in "Sand Prairie WMA" (note this is present in 5.6 also)

- AGG, forced palette:

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv54?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=map&mapsize=1259%20484&mapext=381482.421875%205035765.625%20435580.078125%205056562.5
http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv_rp?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=map&mapsize=1259%20484&mapext=381482.421875%205035765.625%20435580.078125%205056562.5

Biggest visual differences are:

1) color variations, especially in the blues. Note the darker blue water trail that runs down the center of the image. It's obliterated against the new version
2) outlines, especially around text are not as strong in the new version

- GD, GIF

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv54?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=map&mapsize=1259%20484&mapext=381482.421875%205035765.625%20435580.078125%205056562.5&map.imagetype=gif
http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv_rp?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=map&mapsize=1259%20484&mapext=381482.421875%205035765.625%20435580.078125%205056562.5&map.imagetype=gif

Biggest visual differences are:

1) outlines are still pretty different. White around text is more consistent, although the black around the white shields is more grey than black which is unexpected.
2) stacked styles used to draw interstate labels aren't aligned, note the floating "crown".
3) some features aren't showing up (small roads) in the 5.4 image, that are there in the new version, looks like bug was fixed!

I'm gonna hookup this new version to an app here that draws 20 layers or so, should be an interesting visual comparison. Will share that link ASAP.

Steve