[mapserver-dev] MapServer legend functionality

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jun 14 13:51:07 EDT 2010

Brent,

Well you did specify NO Mapscript in the first message.  I tend to shy away from Mapscript myself as well.

Your description of things are seeming to point at an administrative interface of sorts, which I've been pondering for a while now (Years!), where the abstract things like visible layers, and desired cartography was moved to the user realm, right in line with your Online GIS . . .

bobb

>>> Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> wrote:

Bob,

   Yes that's possible; and so is using Mapscript.  My hope was that I (and
others wanting to do bound styling) could generate a legend with a minimum of
scripting/coding/querying.  Personally, I think bound styling could be very
powerful, especially when combined with a user login, a web page to
"create/define" layers and classes, and the GeoMOOSE/OpenLayers ability to
digitize features (what's next? a web-based GIS, oh nooo...)

Brent