[mapserver-dev] Cairo Win32 GDI direct rendering and printing support

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 13:24:59 EST 2010

I've been playing around with the mapserver6 sandbox and the cairo driver in
this weekend, fixed some issues and implemented some additions in the
following changesets:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10718
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10719
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10720
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10721
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10722
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10723
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10724
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10725
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10726

The most significant addition from my side is 2 new outputformats to the
cairo renderer, namely:

CAIRO/WINGDI  - To support drawing onto a Windows GDI device.
CAIRO/WINGDIPRINT  -  To support drawing onto a Windows GDI printing device.

Initializing these formats require a GDI handle to be specified externally,
for this reason these output formats are not created by default. I've added
a new method in the mapscript interface (outputFormatObj.AttachDevice) which
requires to specify the device context by a void* parameter. Typemaps would
be required for the various SWIG bindings to map the void* handle to a
reasonable type in the target languages. I've added support for this in the
C# bindings along with the following examples to show how to utilize this
new feature:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/sandbox/mapserver6/mapscript/csharp/examples/drawmapDirect.cs
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/sandbox/mapserver6/mapscript/csharp/examples/drawmapDirectPrint.cs

I'm looking foward to merge all this stuff back in trunk, so that I'll be
able provide the related binaries from http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/ for
those who interested in testing with the cairo driver.

Best regards,

Tamas