[mapserver-dev] Arabic encoding in Mapscript

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Nov 27 10:33:48 EST 2010

I have gotten this to work using a Microsoft Arial font that is about
24MB in size. It is a utf8 font. I use Arabic data that is in utf8 and
use the ENCODING UTF8 in the label. You HAVE to use fribidi-0.19.x when
compiling mapserver.

The MS Arial font is not perfect it has some missing joining gliphs but
is for the most part pretty good. I have had some clients license other
third party fonts that are better but I don't keep track of them and
some clients have gotten a font editor and added the glyphs they needed.

-Steve W