[mapserver-dev] Is WFS PROPERTYNAME overriding gml_include_items intentional?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 8 20:13:15 EDT 2010

Assefa,

 From reading the PROPERTYNAME code in mapwfs.c it appears that it is
possible for a WFS GetFeature request to ask for properties that were
not in the users gml_include_items metadata and the gml_include_items
value is just overridden.

Is this the intended behavior?  My understanding from reading the
documentation is that by not listing an item in gml_include_items it
was be protected from clients, but perhaps I was reading too much into
the documentation with regard to intent.

So, is the gml_include_items intended to *protect* fields that aren't
listed from being accessible?  Or is it just intended as a way of limiting
the fields in a default WFS response for the sake of avoiding low value
junk in the response?