[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 61: Enhance MapServer Feature Style Support (update 2)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:37:55 EDT 2010

Hi Devs,

Thanks to all who provided comments on this proposal. I did some reasonable
modifications in RFC-61 in order to make the things more straightforward.
The latest version of RFC 61 can be found here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/docs/en/development/rfc/ms-rfc-61.txt

Here are the key changes I've made in the document as of the last update:

- Support for setting the mapserver STYLE and CLASS definitions as style
strings in addition to the OGR style format.
- Support for auto identifying the actual style format, which allows to use
multiple formats per layer.
- This new addition will only affect the STYLEITEM "mystyleattribute"
setting, and we leave the behaviour of STYLEITEM "AUTO" as it stands now.
(By calling the diver specific LayerGetAutoStyle in this case)

A working implementation can be found as a patch in the corresponding
ticket: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3544

Any feedback in this topic is highly welcomed. If no reasonable objections
received, I'm planning to call for a vote to approve this RFC in the next
week.

Best regards,

Tamas