[mapserver-dev] Out of Box MapServer

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Sep 27 17:48:36 EDT 2010

Right, what goes into RPM/DEB, and how the stuff is broken up, is a
packaging decision.

We'd end up with a default install setup:

/usr/local/mapserver/cgi-bin
/usr/local/mapserver/share/data,fonts,symboles
/usr/local/mapserver/doc
/usr/local/mapserver/etc
/usr/local/mapserver/htdocs

Which could be over-ridden globally with a --prefix.

And then provide a panoply of other ./configure switches (--share-dir,
--config-dir, etc ,etc) to allow the kinds of fully integrated
installs packagers love.

The key is to have some default locations that mapserv can look for
required things like fonts, symbols, data, so that the bare mapserv
CGI can actually do something right out of the box. So the handling of
DATA for example would be (a) is there a DATA in this map file? no? is
there anything at the expected system data location
(/usr/local/mapserver/share/data, eg)

Best,

Paul