[mapserver-dev] Improve spatial query performance on DB backends by using native spatial filters

Lime, Steve D (DNR) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Fri Apr 1 09:48:53 EDT 2011

Hi Edward: Which version have you been looking at? The approach you describe is at least partially implemented in 6.0. The internal filter/expression syntax has been expanded to cover the OGC filter specification, at least most of it. We've also built capabilities to translate between the two. The internal representation is more SQL-like- a string. That string is processed into a series of tokens that could be processed by MapServer proper (using bison) or by the driver. There is a vtable function that allows the driver to say whether or not they support this common expression/filter format. That's all in place now.

What's not in place is any driver specific use of the abstracted common expression/filter format. That's the big todo. My thought is that a driver could examine the common expression/filter and even conditionally say yes/no to supporting it. That way we could implement high-value use cases first and edge cases later.

I guess I'd recommend looking at RFC 64 and the 6.0 code base. There are some test cases for this in msautotest/query so you can see the new syntax. It does seem to work well and I agree there is certainly room to improve by handing tasks off to drivers that can handle things more efficiently. I'm happy to work with you (and others) on this...

Steve