[mapserver-dev] MOTION: Symbol-level keyword removal (was: Re: 6.0 backwards compatibility)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 1 14:55:02 EDT 2011

Hi PSC,

*** MOTION ***

Removal of deprecated symbology-related keywords in MapServer 6.0:

1- Remove any references to CARTOLINE still left in the code and
documentation. CARTOLINE had stopped working a few releases ago anyway.

2- Remove the following GAP, PATTERN, LINECAP/JOIN and POSITION keywords
from symbolObj with the understanding that they were deprecated since
around version 5.4 and conceptually those values really belong at the
STYLE level. (see Thomas' explanation below)

***

And I (Daniel) vote +1.

We've already got formal +1 on this in the previous thread from ThomasB
and SteveW. A few others have expressed support without voting officially.

So please, PSC members, vote on this motion, and if we get no objections
by Tuesday April 5 then I will take care of this before next week's beta.

Related tickets:

On 11-04-01 12:47 PM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Christy,
> Supporting those keywords on STYLES and SYMBOLS makes us jump through
> hoops to try and support it consistently throughout the codebase. I
> understand the need you have, and would hope that someone comes up
> with funding for real style inheritance in mapserver.
> Until then, using gap/pattern on a symbol is conceptually incorrect,
> as a SYMBOL is just the reference to a marker type, and it is the
> STYLE that references it that is used to determine how it should be
> styled for each feature. I agree that the previous version of
> mapserver did not clearly make the distinction between the two
> concepts, but that derived due to the limitations of the GD renderer
> with respect to advanced symbology.
>
> As the mapfiles have to be updated anyhow in 6.0 due to other
> backwards-compatibility breaking changes, now would seem the good time
> to update them for those keywords too, rather than forcing another
> change in 7.0.
>
> regards,
>
> Thomas
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 16:44, Christy Nieman<cnieman at dmsolutions.ca>  wrote:
>> I just wanted to put in my $0.02 on this.
>>
>> I'm a little worried that removing parameters like these from the symbol
>> file will make large and complex mapfiles more difficult to manage without
>> some sort of named style inheritance (which I don't think exists yet?).  I
>> have many symbols for line styles that I reuse throughout a mapfile and
>> having to change gap values, line caps and/or patterns for each class that
>> uses the style will make management of the mapfiles a lot more involved.
>>
>> Christy
>>
>> --

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/