[mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] MapServer 6.0.0-rc1 release

Lime, Steve D (DNR) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Fri Apr 29 17:17:50 EDT 2011

Now define copyright-worthy... ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:warmerdam at pobox.com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 4:16 PM
To: Lime, Steve D (DNR)
Cc: mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] MapServer 6.0.0-rc1 release

On 11-04-29 05:11 PM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
>>> - Update all source files, whether they were modified or not?
>>
>> I feel that this would be misrepresenting our rights and should not
>> be done.
>
> Frank: Don't we retain rights today regardless of the modification date on the file? I mean, just because we didn't modify maphash.c this year doesn't mean the copyright isn't valid today.
>
> I'd vote for keeping all files with the same end year...

Steve,

I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that the copyright dates in the
file should be the range of dates for which we assert we made meaningful
(copyright-worthy) changes to the source code.  It is not about how long
those rights persists.  They last a substantial period time based on
national law, from the last date we assert copyright rights for.

If we are just going to have a blanket end-year then we might as well just
keep the copyright range in the README or LICENSE file.