[mapserver-dev] Re: Difference between queryByRect and queryByShape

dragoncino dragoncino at yahoo.it
Thu Aug 4 18:19:34 EDT 2011

Thanks for your suggestion, but I probably discovered what's the difference.
I have calculated with another GIS software that the right number of streets
actually inside the rectangle is 4.
Now, the number of streets given from querybyshape decreised with the
increase of map size (default width was 320 px), reaching the number of 4
when size was somthing like width = 10000 px.
So, I definitely think that querybyshape is calculated on the "screen",
while querybyrect is calculated oin the "world". This explain why in real
usage (= if the user draws the polygon on the screen, and then this is used
to make the query), querybyshape behaves more or less correctly.
This is anyway a bad behaviour, in my opinion.

Fabrizio