[mapserver-dev] RFC 73: SVG Symbols support

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Aug 31 16:57:40 EDT 2011

Hi Zak,

Your explanation sounds great to me. I don't think it is critical to
update the patch at this point, but I'd suggest that you clearly state
in the RFC that you plan to cleanup/remove the preliminary SVG support
code that was committed 18 months ago for ticket #3343. Perhaps a copy
of your explanation about why and how your approach differs (the second
paragraph below) could also be included to justify the removal of
previous code.

Thanks

Daniel

On 11-08-31 04:46 PM, Zak James wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful feedback. I will update the RFC with some
> information on documentation changes.
>
> The proposed implementation uses the existing changes to the parser
> but the approach for reading and rendering the symbols is different.
> We used an existing SVG parser which includes a more complete SVG
> implementation and we pass through the SVG instructions directly in
> the case of a cairo (pdf or postscript) outputformat to improve
> quality. Additionally, we pre-scale and rotate the SVG before
> rasterizing with agg which I don't recall being done in the existing
> trunk implementation.
>
> Assuming the rfc is adopted, I will remove the superceded code from
> trunk. Should I make those changes part of the patch attached to the
> ticket?
>
> zak
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Daniel Morissette
> <dmorissette at mapgears.com>  wrote:
>> The RFC seems fine to me and I very much welcome this addition. Perhaps you
>> could add a "Documentation" section outlining which docs will be updated.
>>
>> I didn't review the patch, but noticed in ticket #3671 a ref to ticket #3343
>> which looks like a partial implementation of SVG support committed to trunk
>> 18 months ago. Hopefully your plan is to either reuse, complete or delete
>> this code, and not to add something in parallel? Can you please confirm
>> that?
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On 11-08-23 02:25 PM, Zak James wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Back at the Montreal code sprint, Thomas, Assefa and I started work on
>>> adding full support for SVG symbols. We've now submitted an RFC for
>>> this along with an initial patch implementing support.
>>>
>>> http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-73.html
>>>
>>> The patch is attached to this ticket:
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3671.
>>>
>>> We're looking forward to your comments. If you want to try out the
>>> patch, you'll need to configure --with-libsvg-cairo= pointing to the
>>> library mentioned in the rfc.
>>>
>>> zak
>>

>> --
>> Daniel Morissette
>> http://www.mapgears.com/
>> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/