[mapserver-dev] call for vote rfc80: fallback fonts

Thomas Jakobi thomas at derfake.com
Fri Dec 9 18:56:22 EST 2011

hi!

do i get to vote, too? ;-)

regarding gd: it would be easy to check the default font for missing glyphs using freetype (we are already doing that in the cairo renderer), and try to find a font in the font fallback list that has *all* glyphs of the string to render.

if we find a font that is able to render the string completely, we can simply use that one. upside: probably no error glyphs if unifont is in the fallback font list. downside: possible font juggling between labels on the same screen.

if we do not find a a font, we could keep the current behavior (boxes, little boxes..).

basically, a label-by-label fallback instead of glyph-by-glyph, would be possible for gd.

kind regards,

thomas