[mapserver-dev] call for vote rfc80: fallback fonts

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 04:30:16 EST 2011

Daniel,
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 02:44, Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> On 11-12-08 11:27 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> as announced yesterday, I would like to call for a vote on rfc 80:
>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-80.html
>>

> Could you please add an example to the RFC? A sample fontset file with all
> possible valid fontset entries would do in this case I guess. I see
> "font1,font2,font3" in the last paragraph of the overview section, but an
> explicit example section with short explanation is easier to spot and
> understand for users visiting the RFC page and trying to understand how this
> works in practice.

I was hoping the rfc was simple enough as is, but will add an example
to the rfc (the msautotest entry linked to the ticket already contains
such an example: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/12863 )

> I think the RFC should also state whether spaces around the commas are
> accepted/trimmed or not (probably not?). Also, are double quotes allowed for
> fonts containing spaces in the path?

There is no change to the way fonts are declared in, and used from,
the fontset. i.e. a quoted font filename (with or without spaces in
the path) in the fontset is supported (and recommended). Spaces in the
LABEL->FONT are not supported and will return an error message
indicating a failed fontset lookup, in the exact same way done
actually that (FONT " truetype") will return an error message if
written down instead of (FONT "truetype").