[mapserver-dev] Request for review/comments on RFC 77 (multiple label support)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Dec 13 11:12:44 EST 2011

Steve,

Looks very promising.  A few points:

1. Label priority within a group.  Someone may want to assign priority
to labels withing the group ("always (try to) label the well_id, and
label the well_production if there is room").   I guess this could be
handled with the current method of using two LAYERs with different label
PRIORITY.

2. Allow for alternate label positions.  While this is likely beyond the
scope of the RFC, perhaps it could be taken into account in design and
implementation for later addition.  Basically I'd like more flexibility
(rule-based?) in labeling polygons:

     A. Try to place label in polygon.  If it doesn't fit:
     B. Rotate anno to fit inside a polygon.  If it doesn't fit:
     C. Place polygon annotation outside polygon

3.  I think we need a section in our RFCs for related Tickets.  E.g.:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3009    getLabelPoint() does not
work for polyline and point layers.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2981    Need a way to define a
POSITION array for labeling.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3335    Label style support
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2866    Drawing 'Straight' label
with LABEL_NO_CLIP, if 'Follow' label drawing fails.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1355    labelInImage and buffer usage

and indicate if/how the RFC will impact the tickets.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser