[mapserver-dev] RFC81: offset labels with leader lines

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:00:55 EST 2011

Fanned labels (if I understand correctly what you mean by that) can only be
achieved, I believe, when using a global optimization over all the labels
to be rendered for the current map, which is not the way we do it actually,
i.e. for a given label we are only constrained by the labels that have been
previously rendered, and completely ignore all the labels that might be
coming afterwards.

Global optimization of label placement is not in the scope of this RFC, and
would be sufficiently disruptive that the current design decisions are
irrelevant imho.

--
thomas