[mapserver-dev] RFC81: offset labels with leader lines

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Dec 18 12:14:22 EST 2011

On 12/18/2011 11:40 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 11:41 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
>> devs,
>>
>> please have a look and comment on
>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-81.html
>
> Thomas,
>
> This looks like an awesome addition to mapserver. I like that this
> automatically searches for a location.
>
> How does this interact with OFFSET X Y, and would it be possible
> (optionally?) to draw a leader between the object point and the offset x
> y label point using this same tools set?

As a follow on to this, and this might work for Mike Smith also.

If there was an option like LEADERONOFFSET that used you label and
leader line detection, then it would be possible to have multiple labels
on an object (ref: RCF 77) with leader lines and to explicitly place
them to the right or left using OFFSET X Y to manual position the labels
relative to the object label point.

         label1\    /  /r label1
  longer label2----o----r label2
   other label3/  /    \r label3

                  /

Where A-B is a line for example. And this would require 6 label blocks
each with an appropriate OFFSET X Y value to position and ALIGN to align
the text.

Or in the more simple case of labeling the state of Maryland and New
Jersey, having OFFSET X Y to position the names out in the Atlantic
Ocean. This might be a case where you would want east coast names only
offset to the right and west coast names offset to the left as a
separate use case to Mike's dual scenario labeling.

-Steve W