[mapserver-dev] libtool usage

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Dec 19 13:15:38 EST 2011

On 11-12-19 11:38 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:

> I understand your reticense, however note that in our current setup we
> are bandaid fixing our build tools to support shared libraries, with
> marginal success (php mapscript has to be statically linked to
> libmapserver, we are unconditionaly adding -fPIC on static builds,
> getting the apache module to load requires either a static build or
> manually adding a Loadfile libmapserver.so in httpd.conf, ...). I am
> confident that the libtool guys are much better than we are in sorting
> these things out, even though the blackbox approach of libtool might
> seem a bit unnerving.

Agreed, but instead of "bandaid", I might use the term "duct tape" since
the pieces do hold together fairly well as things stand now. ;-)

I would also (like you) tend to expect libtools to do a better job than
our duct tape solution, but as I said this comes at the cost of a
blackbox approach for non-experts that scares me a bit (i.e. when it
fails you're screwed).

What about CMake? It seems to be the cool name for build environments
these days, and should even support Windows. Was this considered as an
option? (I am no CMake expert, just asking)

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/