[mapserver-dev] libtool usage

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 04:45:21 EST 2011

I mostly agree with your points, but as stated before I think we'll be
gaining more than we are loosing by switching to libtool.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:44, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Thomas / etc,
>
> I dislike libtool for the reasons Daniel gave.  When it fails it
> is a nightmare to try and work around the problems with the tool.
> Not a big problem on linux as a rule, but on other systems where
> it should in theory be helpful it can instead make it nearly impossible
> to get the flags you know are needed through to the linker.

>From my experience with mapcache, passing esoteric linker flags was as
simple as adding

-Wl,"-my-ld-bizarre-flag -foo"

to the libtool linking command.

> With regard to Thomas taking on responsibility for libtool related
> issues, that would be helpful, but mostly the problems are of a
> nature that can't be reproduced except on the problem machine so
> there wouldn't be much Thomas can do to help.
>
> In the past it wasn't particularly important to build a MapServer
> shared library, so it was convenient to avoid libtool.  Moving
> forward perhaps we should just bight the bullet if Thomas is
> willing to do the footwork.
>
> So, for my part, I won't stand in the way of this progress even
> if I have mild misgivings and will miss the simplicity and
> adjustability of current MapServer builds.

We still have an autoconf only build (no automake), so the changes to
our build system is marginal and can still be tinkered with easily
with -Wc,"cflags" -Wl,"linkerflags" if the supplied makefile is
failing. configuring with --disable-shared will also  bring the build
back to a very close state to what it is in nowadays.

--
thomas