[mapserver-dev] RFC 67 - Enable/Disable Layers in OGC Web Services

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Feb 10 08:45:47 EST 2011

On 11-02-10 08:04 AM, Kralidis,Tom [Ontario] wrote:

> - I imagine, in addition to request handling, that this would be handled
> accordingly in GetCapabilities responses (i.e. we wouldn't write out
> GetFeatureInfo as an operation if "wms_enable_request"
> "!GetFeatureInfo")

Yes, that's correct. Perhaps a note about this could be added to the RFC
to make sure we don't forget that bit.

> - do/will we allow disabling of GetCapabilities requests?  I think
> GetCapabilities would be vital in any use case, in terms of advertising
> a server's info and supported operations

Disabling GetCapabilities at the server level may not make much sense
from a pure OGC spec standpoint, but some app developers may want to use
the OGC protocol for GetMap with OpenLayers for instance, without
exposing their full layer list to the world (call that security by
obfuscation).

At the layer level, disabling GetCapabilities can be used with grouped
layers (wms_layer_group) to hide individual layers from the
GetCapabilities while still being able to request them in a GetMap as a
group.

> - I think, to be consistent with existing behaviour, that all OWS
> services should be enabled by default, and that it would be up to the
> user to explicitly disable them if they want to.  This will break every
> mapfile from an OWS perspective

Good point, but I think everybody will have a different opinion on this
one so we'll need to vote to make the final call.

My take is that I prefer a system where everything is locked down by
default and users enable features explicitly, hopefully knowing what
they are doing.

The current situation with all OGC services enabled by default means
that many users who are only using the mapserv CGI with templates or
with an OL app and know nothing about OGC services are exposing all
their data through a bunch of OGC services that they don't understand...
and they are not even aware of that.

It seems to me that all OGC services should have been disabled by
default since day one, and mapfile developers should have enabled them
explicitly as needed... and 6.0 is a good time to fix this. We're only
talking about a one-liner to re-enable all services in a mapfile anyway,
not a huge deal for those who know what they're doing.

The current situation with MapServer/OWS is a bit as if your email
account was open to the whole world by default, and you'd need to read
through a pile of docs to figure that out, and then find out that you
need to find and set the "public = false" setting in the preferences to
protect your privacy. Most people won't read that far and will leave
their stuff open to the world without knowing it.

That's my opinion: I prefer to protect the innocent and let those in the
know explicitly enable this kind of feature. Not everybody will agree so
we'll need to seek consensus, and if the majority choses to keep things
open by default then I won't object, but at least we'll have dealt with
the issue.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/