[mapserver-dev] Motion: Adopt 6.0 release plan and enter release mode

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Feb 27 13:16:51 EST 2011

On 2/27/2011 10:50 AM, Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

>> Assefa - were you able to get the tilecache support integrated?
>> If not any chance that that can get submitted before the freeze?
>>
> Hi Steve,
> I did not have a chance to work on this. I am not sure how this will fit
> going forward. We currently use it with versions of MapServer (5.4 and
> 5.6). When we will upgrade our servers to MapServer 6.0, I want to be
> able to do the tiles using mode-geocache
> (http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/) and if that satisfy our needs,
> I would make sense to work with that tool and contribute to a common tool.

Assefa,

I was not aware of this project. Thomas makes very cool stuff - Thanks
for the link to this.

So, I took 10 mins browsing through the project. So if I get the high
level picture correctly, this project does the cache management and when
a request comes in for a tile that is not in the cache or too old, it
generates a metatile request to mapserver (assuming that is the image
provider) and then it chops the tiles and saves them it the cache.

So in theory, it can be configured with any map image provider on the
back end, even one that uses tiles in a different format and it will
make requests, composite images, chop them into local tile standards and
serve them. I even looks like if the request if for a single image, it
can composite that from the tiles and then serve that image.

Assuming I have all or most of that correct, this seems to be a very
powerful middle-ware tool. And it achieves the requirements for
mapserver tilecache nicely.

Thanks for the heads up. Now another thing I need to learn :)

-Steve W