[mapserver-dev] 6.0 release scheduling

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jan 13 23:29:55 EST 2011

Hi Peter,

> (...)
>

> I'm right now in front of the INSPIRE View Services docs and would add another item to that list: metadata. There is a large part of the specs dedicated to metadata, which is covered by a INSPIRE specific namespce (http://inspire.europa.eu/networkservice/view/1.0). Some of that metadata must be included in the capabilities document in order to conform to the INSPIRE guidelines.
>
> I can not say anything how this could be handled by MapServer.

are you refering to elements that are part of the ExtendedCapabilities
element such as ResourceType  SpatialDataServiceType, ... ?  There seems
to be a series of manadatory and optional elements that need to be part
of the ExtendedCapabilities  element. Outside the extended capabilities,
there are also few other metadata such as abstract, fees,  that are
mandatory  (same elements that we find in regular wms)

I think there will be a need to define in the map file an option to
indicate that the capabilities need to be extended and extension should
be done according to the inspire specs.  We can then have specific
functions that can be added to read inspire type metadata to populate
the  ExtendedCapabilities  part of the document.

  Basically from what I can see, here are the things I see need to be
part of the capabilities document:
   - add a link to the inspire schema as part of the overall schema list
   - generate an ExtendedCapabilities
   - include all elements by reading inspire type metadata
   - all other metadata outside that extended capabilities should
already be part of the regular wms output

What other elements need to be there to make it a valid getcapabilities
response?

Are there other docs related to the spec beside
http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Network_Services/Technical_Guidance_View_Services_v2.12.pdf

regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst