[mapserver-dev] RFC 66 - Better handling of temporary files

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jan 14 17:51:20 EST 2011

In general I like the idea of having options to control things like
this. I also like the default behavior to just do the right thing
whatever that is so most users do not need to worry themselves over it.

I think we have discussed this in the past, but it makes a lot of sense
so new users do not have to worry about all these things to get
something up and running. It is kind of like having and expert tab that
allows you to change parameters that most people never need to change.

On some sites that have a need to configure these things for ultra high
end performance that need the ability to customize the configuration,
you need access to these things. Another potential use would be
configuring a bootable DVD to run mapserver, then you might want to
configure the temp files to be at a specific location. Anyway, I see
these as needed exceptions to the normal operations.

We might also want to consider flagging these options in the
documentation "Expert Only" features with an appropriate explanation of
what we mean by that.

I think we need to keep in mind the "Out of the Box" experience and at
the same time not cut off our noses to spite our face.

My 2cts,
   -Steve