[mapserver-dev] doubt about compatibility between Mapserver 5.6.6 and Red Hat 4

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 12 13:49:21 EDT 2011

Annabell,

Yes, you should be able to compile on RedHat 4, but you probably need to
make sure you have the -devel packages loaded for the various dependencies.

Also you might check the various GID package repositories for mapserver
package and you can probably install that directly and not need to
compile it.

google:  rpm mapserver 5.6.6 el4

RedHat 4 is pretty old if you can upgrade you should seriously consider
doing that. Both 5 and 6 have been released.

-Steve W

On 7/12/2011 12:49 PM, Annabell Schelton Lima wrote:
> Hi List! I got a big doubt about the compatibility between Mapserver
> 5.6.6 and Red Hat4, because i tried to compile mapserver in this
> operative system and get the following  error: It can´t found libxpm
> library, necessary to gd library.
>
> Red hat 4 doesn´t have this library!! can be compiled mapserver in
> red hat4  or i need a superior version of red hat?
>
> Best Regards.
>
> ----- Mensaje original ----- De: "Paul Ramsey"<pramsey at opengeo.org>
> Para: "mapserver-dev"<mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org> Enviados:
> Jueves, 7 de Julio 2011 13:04:09 GMT -04:00 Georgetown Asunto: Re:
> [mapserver-dev] Re: RFC for XMP metadata support
>
> Re-sending to list...
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Paul Ramsey<pramsey at opengeo.org>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Daniel Morissette
>> <dmorissette at mapgears.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> Here are a few questions/comments:
>>>
>>> - The proof of concept code attached to ticket #3932 is executed
>>> in all cases. The real implementation should be conditional to
>>> the presence of xmp_* metadata to avoid calling xmp_init() and
>>> reopening the output file unnecessarily when this feature is not
>>> used. (I presume you were going to do that already but that was
>>> not explicitly stated in the RFC)
>>
>> Correct, the PoC really only proved to me that (a) yes I could get
>> a license in there and (b) the build system could be altered w/o
>> too much trouble. So yes, much more work to do there.
>>

>>> - Instead of focusing on license metadata, could we not make it
>>> so that any xmp_* metadata triggers this feature and ends up
>>> writing the corresponding metadata to the output?
>>
>> I think that's a reasonable generalization, once one has committed
>> to supporting xmp anyways.
>>
>>> - As Thomas already pointed out, it would be ideal to have
>>> support for this via the default output formats as well and not
>>> just GDAL based formats
>>
>> I'll look again and try to find a place to insert this processing
>> that doesn't do too much harm to the overall mapserver code.
>>
>> P.
>>

>>> Daniel

I'm looking for feedback now before I number and commit it and ask for