[mapserver-dev] Re: ms rfc 71: mod-geocache integration

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:58:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 16:07, Yewondwossen Assefa
<yassefa at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay.
>
>  Reading this thread, I tend to also agree that It makes it hard to see a
> big advantage of having the configurations info being read from map file vs
> the config file used by mod-geocache. Most of the things in the config file
> are really independent from a specific map file and  apply to the
> configuration of the tile service, so having them in a map file might not
> really make sense.
> What might be useful from a users perspective is to be able to easily say
> "make this layer/group of layers available through mod-geocache" and  have
> that  functionality available through settings in the map file.  Would it
> make sense to have to have mod-geocache parse mapfiles only for this kind of
> functionality and make the tile-sets available?
>  Regarding the capabilities generation, would it make for MapServer to
> generate correct wms-c, onlineresource, ... elements if configured properly
> through metadata in the map file?
Taking the wms(-c) capabilities creation out of mod-geocache and
forwarding them to mapserver makes a lot of sense. In that case, we
would have to adapt the code to account for the two points you
mention, i.e. have mod-geocache parse the mapfile to extract what
layers/groups are going to be cached (and under what name), and modify
the mapserver wms capabilities to produce the wms-c blurb.

As for the mapfile parsing by mod-geocache, it might be simpler to
have mod-geocache parse the mapserver wms-c capabilities at startup
and extract it's configuration from there... It would make things very
easy to configure in the basic use-case (i.e. a single cached layer,
with no support of dimensions). The more evolved use-cases would need
some extra thinking.

--
thomas