[mapserver-dev] Vector field rendering

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jun 28 16:13:48 EDT 2011

Hi Devs,

We've been asked about the possibility to add support for rendering
vector fields in MapServer. I don't think that would be very
complicated, but before answering I'd like to gauge interest from others
in seeing this feature in MapServer.

Vector fields are used for instance in meteorology to store/display wind
direction and magnitude. The source is two single-band raster images,
one band represents the U component of the vector, and the 2nd band the
V component.

Using the u,v values at a given location we can compute a rotation and
magnitude and use that to draw an arrow of a size proportional to the
magnitude and pointing in the direction of the phenomenon (wind,
current, etc.)

Wikipedia has a nice figure showing what I'm talking about:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_field

Would there be interest in seeing support for vector fields added to the
MapServer core? Has anyone done work on that front already?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/