[mapserver-dev] MapServer 6.0.0-beta1 release - Please test! - hatch rendering performance

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Mon Mar 14 05:30:21 EDT 2011

I really like the new way of rendering hatches (all hatches
are aligned to a global origin).
But I have a performance problem with hatches in 6.0.0beta1.

I have a WMS service, and the rendering time is very much
higher for 6.0.0beta1 than for version 5, and it scales badly
with image size.

Example network response times for a 1000x1000 PNG image
(Firebug numbers):
6beta1: 11.47s (931.1 KB)
5.6.6: 1.84s (1.2 MB)

Example network response times for a 2000x2000 PNG image:
6beta1: 1min 49s (2.9 MB)
5.6.6: 2.36s (4.3 MB)

If I change from hatches to solid fill, the response time for
a 1000x1000 is reduced to 282ms (199.9 KB).

My symbol definition is:
SYMBOL
   NAME "hatch"
   TYPE hatch
END

An here is an example of my usage of the hatch symbol:
STYLE
   SYMBOL "hatch"
   WIDTH 1 # line thickness
   ANGLE 135 # hatch angle
   SIZE 5  # line density
   COLOR 153 0 255
END # style

Håvard Tveite

On 3/10/2011 3:46 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> The MapServer Team is pleased to announce the release of MapServer
> 6.0.0-beta1. This is the first beta on our way to a final 6.0 release.
>
> This new release introduces important changes in key components of the
> MapServer core (rendering, query and expressions), and for this reason
> we count on you, MapServer power users, to help test the release in your
> respective environments and provide feedback (through the users list or
> Trac tickets).
>
> The timing and feedback for this first beta is very important since it
> comes one week before the Montreal Code Sprint where about a dozen
> participants will be working specifically on MapServer and will have a
> chance to tackle important 6.0 issues that may be found and reported.
>
> Here is a quick list of RFCs documenting some of the new features or
> important changes in 6.0. This list is not complete, we will update it
> as we polish the release documentation:
>
> Core Changes in MapServer 6.0 which could affect existing applications:
>
> * MS RFC 54: Rendering Interface API
> * MS RFC 64: MapServer Expression Parser Overhaul
> * MS RFC 65: Single-pass Query Changes for 6.0
>
> New Features and Enhancements in MapServer 6.0:
>
> * MS RFC 58: Kml Output
> * MS RFC 60: Labeling enhancement: ability to skip ANGLE FOLLOW labels
> with too much character overlap
> * MS RFC 61: Enhance MapServer Feature Style Support
> * MS RFC 62: Support Additional WFS GetFeature Output Formats
> * MS RFC 63: Built-in OpenLayers map viewer
> * MS RFC 66: Better handling of temporary files
> * MS RFC 67: Enable/Disable Layers in OGC Web Services
> * MS RFC 68: Support for combining features from multiple layers
> * MS RFC 69: Support for clustering of features in point layers
>
> (RFCs are available online at http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/)
>
> As usual there an a large number of additional small enhancements and
> bug fixes. For a complete list see the HISTORY.TXT file at:
>
>     http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/tags/rel-6-0-0-beta1/mapserver/HISTORY.TXT
>
> We have started working on a 5.6 ->  6.0 migration guide. This document
> contains important notes on backwards incompatibilities or other changes
> required when upgrading to 6.0. It is not complete yet but we strongly
> recommend that you review the latest version online at:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT
>
> The source for this release can be downloaded at:
>
>       http://mapserver.org/download.html
> or
>       http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/mapserver-6.0.0-beta1.tar.gz
>
> The binary distributions listed in the download page should be updated
> with binaries for the new 6.0.0-beta1 release in the next day or so.
>

> This is the first of four planned beta releases and if all goes well a
> final release should occur around the end of April. The full release
> plan can be viewed at:
>
>     http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/60ReleasePlan

> [...]

Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB
Drøbakveien 31, POBox 5003, N-1432 Ås, NORWAY
Phone: +47 64965483 Fax: +47 64965401 http://www.umb.no/imt/