[mapserver-dev] Show of hands for ticket 3522

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 16 12:50:51 EDT 2011

On 3/16/2011 12:38 PM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> Hi everyone: Working through tickets and this one's sitting out there:
>
>    http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3522
>
> Basically its about requiring a validation pattern (given as a regex) for any value used for runtime substitution. It's currently optional. I think it would be a proactive move to keep folks from themselves. Currently we allows subs in:
>
> - layer: data, tileindex, connection, filter
> - class: expression
>
> 6.0 is the right time if we wanted to do this.

I'm +1 for 6.0 and I think this should be made simple in that all
validation patterns are defined once in the MAP -> VALIDATION object and
are applied globally.

If you define %foo% and use it in multiple places, I can't see what it
would mean to validate in one place and not in another.  If people want
separate validations than they can use separate variables. Maybe if
someone is getting very tricky and they want it to fail so it defaults
to a different value based on having multiple defaults that are location
specific.

My take is, rationalize it and make it simple and if we need more in the
future then add new features in the new framework.

-Steve W