[mapserver-dev] Vector field rendering

Blaise Picinbono Blaise.Picinbono at legos.obs-mip.fr
Thu Oct 27 11:57:55 EDT 2011

hi dear dev-list,

I am working at an oceanography lab and I have been asked to build a
webmapping engine to display some data, such as ocean currents.
Most of the data are stored in netcdf files in a "vector field" format
(U+V) (two rasters images).
I managed to display the netcdf files with mapserver, but as a raster
image, only for 1 dimension at a time (U or V).

I am planning to convert the netcdf files in point shapefiles with one
attribute for the angle and another one for the magnitude, but this will
duplicate the data that are already very numerous and I am having hard
times to find a nice symbolization of the point shapefile to display a
thin arrow starting at every pixel center, with an angle, and a body
length fixed by the U and V values.

Looking for some tricks in mapserver lists, I found the following thread
on this dev list from late june, early july 2011 that seems to be
precisely focused on this issue dealing with a very common way of
storing winds and currents data in meteorology and oceanography.

As I am not following closely the latest developments of Mapserver, I
would like to know if this issue is still discussed, or if it is under
development and if I could try it by grabbing the CVS, or if it is
already running in the latest stable release.

Thanks in advance,
Blaise