[mapserver-dev] Re: autoalign diff

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:47:58 EDT 2012

Steve,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 17:35, Stephen Woodbridge
<woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I just cloned the git mapserver repository and I'm wondering what is the
> best git way to pull in the autoalign changes? Or have these been committed
> to mapserver?

they haven't been committed and won't be anytime soon, it's a horrible hack :)

> o I can apply the diff to my mapserver clone
> o there is probably some trick way merge off of your fork
you could apply it from my fork, but I have no branch that contains it.

> I guess that begs another question. Should I fork mapserver into my own
> repository and make changes in that or is it safe to just make local changes
> to my cloned copy?

as a rule of thumb, *never* work directly in your master. make a
branch from master, and work in that one. you would merge this new
branch into master only at the time where you which to publish your
changes back to the official repository and need to create a pull
request.

so your workflow is:

git checkout master
git checkout -b auto-align-labels
/* hack */
git push origin auto-align-labels  # if you want to keep a backup of
your changes online

--
thomas