[mapserver-dev] Server-side Simplication Speed-up

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Apr 8 08:03:28 EDT 2012

You are probably right. I can test this without mucking with vtables.
I think the invalid/error problem would not be a big deal, because the
idea is to drop vertices at below the pixel level. However, talking
with strk, it's possible that MapNik actually lacks a generic
decimation routine in their pipeline, so his optimization not only
reduced the amount of data crossing the pipe from the database, but
also cut down the amount hitting the renderer, which would have been
the big win. In which case for us (who already have a decimator
further up the pipeline) decimating at the datastore level would yield
much lower returns. Andrea Aime says he already tried data-store level
simplification in GeoServer and saw no speed-up (GeoServer also has a
generic decimator already).

So, anyway, I'll run the experiment at some point and report back, but
no urgency here.

P.