[mapserver-dev] Heads Up, RFC81 committed

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 9 16:14:50 EST 2012

Hi Thomas,

Wow! nice job. I just finished building trunk and I thought you would
like to look at 6.0.2 vs 6.1-dev

http://imaptools.com:8080/demo/tiger2011.html?zoom=15&lat=41.86762&lon=-87.66218&layers=B00

Open the layer switcher and you can toggle between the two versions.
Zoom out and compare it at various versions.

This is using the same mapfile on both maps at the moment. I few
observations and comments, none of which is highly problematic, ie: does
not need to be fixed. But the differences might mean something more to you.

1. Annotation layer text seems to be moved closer to the symbol. Note:
all labels with symbols are currently using annotation layers. I will
look into converting the mapfile to use symbol styles.

2. I get a slight shift of labels in part due to 1. I also noticed that
some road labels change, this might be because of the shift in bboxes
for the other labels, but I'm not sure tht is always the case.

3. I have seen at least one case that look like the order or priority of
the labels was not the same. I will have to find that again and see if I
can verify that is the case.

4. I have seen a couple of cases where text following a road disappeared
in 6.1-dev, this might be because of interlabel character overlaps being
different.

As I said, nothing critical at the moment, unless one of these hints at
a bug you might want to look at. I'll work on converting the mapfile to
use label styles and then post an updated link with a new layer in it.

Thanks for all your effort in this.

-Steve W