[mapserver-dev] Motion: change default POSITION AUTO labelling order for point layers

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Mar 16 08:18:56 PDT 2012

I'd say -0 ... I can see in ticket #4249 that the change of order gives
better results in that case, but I am always hesitant to change a
built-in behavior that has been around for years as this change could
cause side-effects for other use cases where the current order is
better. (I have no such use case in mind, just being overly careful
because our users don't like when we break backwards compatibility.)

BTW, I love the idea of a mechanism to control the order in the mapfile.

Daniel

On 12-03-16 10:19 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> We have tickets 2981, 4242 and 4249 opened to ask for a change in the
> order which labels are placed around a label point, in order to obtain
> better quality text placement.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2981
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/4242
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/4249
>
> While the long-term solution will allow us to configure this order at
> the mapfile level, I motion that we change this order from
>

> 1 7 3
> 6 X 5
> 4 8 2

> 6 1 5