[mapserver-dev] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo has been accepted at Google Summer of Code!

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Wed Mar 21 07:49:09 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

Evan,

>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapServer_2012_SOC_Ideas
>
> About the idea of integrating spatialite as a backend of TinyOWS, wouldn't it
> make sense to study doing it through the SQLite/Spatialite GDAL/OGR driver ?
> That way, you could open the door to many other backends.

WFS and Filter Encoding are really closes to SQL concepts (in fact it's just a
Web Service API in front of a Spatial Database)

So i don't think that using OGR will bring us all the expressivity of plain SQL.
(WFS 2.0 handle even stored procedures)

And also maybe we will loose a bit of performances rather than a direct database
access.

But yes it imply to do quite the same job (again) with Oracle Spatial sooner or later...

--
Olivier