[mapserver-dev] 6.2 release notes/announcement

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 14 05:44:54 PST 2012

On 12-11-13 8:14 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> feeling somewhat alone here... :)
>
> Here's an updated release doc:
> http://ci.mapserver.org/job/docsmaster/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/build/html/en/development/announce/6-2.html
> . If you believe your new feature is insufficiently/incorrectly
> documented or promoted, please be my guest and amend.

Thank you very much for your work on this Thomas. The doc looks great.

Here are some quick suggestions:

- In the MapServer Suite section, I would suggest adding a bullet for
the MapServer CGI/MapScript for completeness, e.g.

    * MapServer CGI and MapScript 6.2.0: The MapServer web mapping
      engine that has been at the core of the project since the
      beginning.

      See also: MapServer Documentation

- Migration guide: there is at least one incompatibility that has been
encountered with MapScript vs the support for multiple label objects in
a class. In 6.0 and older, label was an immutable member of the class
object, and a single label was always allocated as part of the classObj.
In 6.2, there is no label allocated in the class object by default and
your MapScript code (python, etc.) has to create new label objects and
add them to the class object. Three new methods were added to the
classObj in MapScript to handle this: getLabel, addLabel, removeLabel.
Existing scripts need to be updated or risk silent failures as SWIG
MapScript (at least in python) does not complain on invalid access to
the label member of the classObj.

Alan or Alexandre could review the last point and make sure I got it
right as they are the ones who encountered and worked on it.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/