[mapserver-dev] Accessing images from remote servers

Ian Walberg ian.walberg at airborne.aero
Wed Oct 3 08:59:20 PDT 2012

Hello list,

We need to build a mapserver application which is running on multiple
devices with limited local storage, because of this the imagery will
have to be  on a separate server.

The application we have today runs on a single server and we access the
imagery using tileindex shapefiles.

So the question is when we move everything but the imagery to the
individual devices can we access the imagery tileindex shapfiles
remotely? We currently limited experience of the WMS and WFS interfaces
but from a quick look these do not seem to allow us to access the
tileindex as we do locally.

Hope this makes sense and I look forward to some suggestions.

Many thanks

Ian