[mapserver-dev] [Motion] Version Numbering

Perry Nacionales pnaciona at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 08:34:45 PDT 2012

I remember the discussion as Dan M. and I liked that idea. IIRC, the idea
behind that numbering scheme is that it will help packagers and anyone who
downloads it know which version of which software are fully supported
within the suite. I'm sure there are other reasons (coupling of the
components, etc.)... While anyone can still download individual components,
the MapServer project will also officially release the suite.

Jeff, I think MS4W is an independent packaging of MapServer so that this
shouldn't affect your version numbering. Unless of course you're including
all three suite components in which case you'd refer to your package as
including the suite version 12.10.x or whatever. It's actually easier to
say that instead of enumerating each of the three components.

It seems this motion merits another IRC discussion... and maybe voting
right after the discussion?

-Perry

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> I know for MS4W we maintain a different numbering system; adding yet
> another system on top of this makes things super hairy.  I'd prefer to
> leave MapServer numbering as-is, and let package/suite maintainers
> number as they wish.
>
> -jeff

---
Perry Nacionales