[mapserver-dev] [Motion] Version Numbering

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Oct 16 09:00:55 PDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 11:43 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 12-10-16 12:34 PM, Perry Nacionales wrote:
>>
>> Jeff, I think MS4W is an independent packaging of MapServer so that this
>> shouldn't affect your version numbering. Unless of course you're
>> including all three suite components in which case you'd refer to your
>> package as including the suite version 12.10.x or whatever. It's
>> actually easier to say that instead of enumerating each of the three
>> components.
>>

> Yes MS4W will contain all...so yes it becomes extremely confusing :)

I think MS4W as an independent packager can decide which components it
want to include and how it wants to number it.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from that fact that Mapserver PSC
has two roles now where it used to have one.

1. releasing individual software components as we have done in the past
2. a new role of packager releasing Mapserver Suite

So the rules for one do not have to apply to the other. We do not
dictate how MS4W should be labeled or released based on our old role of
releasing software components and likewise MS4W does not dictate how the
components should be numbered.

If we think about the Mapserver Suite as an independent packager and
separate from the component release process, then I think it should
follow the model of MS4W and decide which components and versions should
be bundled and release in Mapserver Suite and how it wants to number
those suite releases. And this should not change the numbering of the
components.

Anyway, this is how I see it, but could be swayed to look at it
differently if there are compelling reasons or benefits.

-Steve W