[mapserver-dev] Migrate mapserver

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Sep 8 05:28:35 PDT 2012

On 9/8/2012 3:49 AM, scott159 at free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to migrate mapserver 6.0.3 to 6.2 on linux server. I
> installed it with a script to compile GEOS, GDAL etc ... then
> mapserver. What's best solution if I want to update librairy like
> GEOS, GDAL etc ... ?

This depends on how those packages were installed in the first place and
what Linux distribution you are using.

Where they all installed from source packages? or were they installed
via you Linux package manager? Ideally they were installed via the
package manager along with the -devel packages and you have access to a
package repository with the newer packages you want.

Otherwise you will need to download the source packages and compile and
install them. This might get a little tricky if you already have
packages installed under /usr then you can uninstall the packages if
they do not remove dependencies you want. or you can leave them and
install the newer packages under /usr/local

Then make sure you ./configure the new packages you build referring to
the the newer packages in /usr/local explicitly.

-Steve w