[mapserver-dev] Request for review/comments on RFC 85 (Contour Layer Rendering)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Sep 20 09:26:16 PDT 2012

Alan,

     Looks very interesting, especially the concept of a "hybrid" layer
(raster in, lines out).  Using CONNECTIONTYPE to specify the contouring
of the raster seems like overloading the meaning of that object
somewhat, but I don't really have a better solution. One of the problems
of using CONNECTIONTYPE is that I won't be able to get my raster from
PostGIS (unless i go through OGR?).

   We have a few of other hybrid (+/-) layers:
        tile index
        GRID
        Chart

each specified in their own way.  I think I would prefer the TILEINDEX
way of referencing another layer to get the details of the input:

LAYER
     NAME "dem"
     TYPE raster
     CONNECTIONTYPE "postgis"
     DATA "myRasterTable"
END
LAYER
     TYPE line
     DATA "dem"  # the name of the input layer
     PROCESSING "Contour"
     :

or it just may be more confusing and not worth the flexibility...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser